Friday, July 21, 2006

Album of the Month: July 2006


Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

For those of you who know me, you are probably baffled at this album of the month placement, since Hip Hop and/or Pop have never been my cup of tea. Some might even think its 'Crazy' that I am doing this. Pun definitely intended. But I recieved this album about a week and a half ago and I haven't stopped listening to it since.

Musically the album is amazing. I cant get enough of the energy and the amazing beats throughout this record. There isnt a whole lot of rapping as much as there is some great singing, which was a huge plus in my book. I enjoy the feel of this entire album, and it really was the perfect album for the summer feeling (thanks George). It has everything from songs like 'The Boogie Monster' which made me think of Frank Zappa, to the ultra catchy 'Crazy'. The only weak spot in my mind was the Violent Femmes cover of 'Gone Daddy Gone'...but no matter who re-does it, the Violent Femmes always end up being annoying eventually.

So basically this album easily replaces 'Justified' for me as my favorite pop record, and not only that, but it bitch slaps it on the way up.

No comments: