Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ready Go Mix

I wanted to approach this mix like I was going for a drive. Usually when I feel like getting in my car and driving around for a bit I am pretty pumped up at first...and then things just mesh from there...I was trying to capture an hours worth of driving on this mix. Whether it be driving alone and trying to do some self reflection, or driving with your drunken friends in the back of your car singing along.

To me this mix was all about capturing as many of those moments as possible in 1.2 hours. It has some songs that will make you laugh, make you think, and most of all, make you shake your rump. So put it together, get in your car, and drive around with this playing for a little more then an hour.

I hope you all like it.


  1. Lapdance - N*E*R*D - Off of their album 'In Search Of...'. This song gets the road trip started nicely.
  2. Hey Man (Now You're Really Living) - The Eels - Off of their album 'Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. This is another one of those bands you absolutely have to check out if you haven't already.
  3. San Ber'dino - Frank Zappa - I took this one of 'Strictly Commercial'. Zappa is one of those musical genius' who has never been taken seriously because he never really took himself all that seriously. But I think he is great.
  4. Girls of Wild Strawberries - Guided By Voices - Off their album 'Half Smiles of the Decomposed'. The indie band of all indie bands peps up the road trip with this catchy number.
  5. Paper Bag - Fiona Apple - Off her album 'When the Pawn Hits...'. She is my favorite female artist, and this is one of my favorite songs by her. I first heard it on a road trip to Maryland, but thats a story for another time.
  6. Car Carrier Blues - Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke - Off of their album 'Clone'. This is my favorite post phish side project, and this song is always perfect for a nice drive.
  7. A Day at the Races - Candid - Off of their album 'A Comforting Thought'. This band has kept me from sleep on many late night drives through boring cities.
  8. Do You Realize?? - The Flaming Lips - Off of their album 'Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots'. This song always cuts into the back of your head and gets the mind racing.
  9. Lonesome Johnny Blues - Cracker - Off of their self titled album (also known as 'Brand'). This song is about the half-way point and is supposed to remind you that road trips are fun but it has that hint of loneliness as well.
  10. Senorita - Justin Timberlake - Off of 'Justified'. There isnt much to say about this song, other then "Gentlemen Goodnight...Ladies, Good Morning".
  11. Mess Around - Ray Charles - I got this one off of the 'Ray!' Soundtrack. I thought of slappin 'Ive Got A Woman' on this mix to kick Kanye West in the preverbial balls, but this is the ultimate road trip song thanks to Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
  12. Little Room - The White Stripes - Off of their album 'White Blood Cells'. This is one of those simple ones, but it gets me thinking. Not only that, but one of my first big road trips is highly centered around this album in my memory bank.
  13. Discotheque CVB - Camper Van Beethoven - Off of their album 'New Roman Times'. This one is supposed to take the road trip to a different step. Maybe your friend fell asleep, or you just want to listen to the thoughts in your head for awhile, and this song gives you a nice soundtrack to do so.
  14. Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago - Soul Coughing - Off of their album 'Ruby Vroom'. This song reminds me of so many things. Not only that, but its a great song from a great band.
  15. Pink Bullets - The Shins - Off of their album 'Chutes too Narrow'. This song mellows things out a little bit.
  16. Woman Driving, Man Sleeping - The Eels - Off of their album 'Souljacker'. Its rare for me to put a band on a mix twice, but this song is perfect for this point in the road trip.
  17. Mr. Self Destruct - NIN - Off of 'The Downward Spiral'. This is about the time your eyes might start to feel heavy and you are going crazy from looking at nothing but white lines zinging by you and pure blackness in front of you.
  18. Surf Wax America - Weezer - Off of their Blue Album. Wake up, we're here!

Well I hope you guys liked this mix. I could make a million road trip mixes, cause every different road trip requires a different mix. As a matter of fact, I envision you all listening to all my mixes while driving, cause really, mixes were invented for the purpose of driving entertainment. In my opinion anyways.

So happy travels...

2 comments:

frillytoothpicks said...

Greatest blog idea ever...
you rock nick
rockstar*

Nick Shattell said...

You are the greatest blog idea ever!!!