Friday, December 15, 2006

Album of the Month: December 2006

Brian Wilson - SMiLE

Sometimes when I think of my childhood, I think of listening to my Dad's old Beach Boy records all the time throughout the house. Of course it was more of the post-Wilson insanity surfer records during their brief stint of touring with Uncle Jesse, but I still managed to take something away from it.

Call it nostalgia, but lately this Album has taken over my listening schedule.

The vocal harmonies on this album are amazing, as is the overall arrangement of the entire pieces. I also like the cohesive feeling of the album and its repeating melodies and whatnot. While this is one of the most hyped up and praised releases in the history of records I feel it lives up to every expectation. Just imagine if it had been released in the 60's when Wilson first dreamt it up.

This is one of those albums that teaches you what music really is all about. If you sit and listen to it, it will take you in directions you'd never thought you'd enjoy. Thats the only way I can describe it.

No comments: