Friday, December 15, 2006

Album of the Year: 2006


The Eels: With Strings, Live at Town Hall

(In order to win Album of the Year for my blog, the album must be released in that year - which is unlike the criteria for my Album of the Month.)

Of course I haven't heard everything released this year (including Tom Waits' 'Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards'), but the year is coming to a close and its time for me to post what I think is the best listen of the calendar year 2006.

This album is a new side of the Eels that came through to us slightly in last years release of 'Blinking Lights and Other Revelations'. Only this takes it to the most personal and beautiful level that I have ever imagined the Eels could play.

Instead of trying to make your ears ring, Mister E swings us through his extensive library with string arrangements that will sometimes make you smile, and other times haunt you. I have been a big fan of the Eels collection for at least a couple years now, and never have I heard it presented this way. Its is one of the best live albums I have ever heard.

Honorable Mention: Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, 'Rabbit Fur Coat'.

No comments: